Skip to main content

The TMax on Nutrition

Some people ask me how I maintain my lean figure and what I eat to fuel my workouts (coffee with coconut oil and heavy cream). Of course, genetics plays a role in my musculature, but genetics has nothing to do with my work ethic in the gym (though I workout a lot less than you probably think) or my discipline in the kitchen. I am constantly experimenting and trying new things to make myself stronger, healthier, and feel better. I do my best to refrain from passing judgement on something until I try it for myself.

I am amazed at how often people say a diet or lifestyle doesn't work, without ever having tried it. I like to try the different philosophies of eating to see for myself how my body responds, and then apply the principles that work for me. I like to try different foods and those that I enjoy and see the most benefit from, I incorporate into my diet.

I grew up on the standard high-carb, low-fat diet, and unfortunately, as a child I didn't know the different options nor did I have the desire to experiment with my food. I didn't have any health issues, though I was plagued with severe acne. In 2013, I tried the ketogenic diet with great success, and since have followed a diet loosely based on this low-carb diet. The main noticeable advantage I see in the low-carb diet vs the high carb diet is mental clarity, stemming from lack of sugar crashes.

At home, I eat very consistently low-carb. When I go out to eat, I pretty much throw caution to the wind and eat whatever, with the exception of limiting my sugar intake. I drink mainly water, coffee and tea, and an occasional glass of wine, but never sugary or sugar-free drinks. Below are some of the foods that I eat regularly, and though I often will try new foods and recipes, I always come back to eating these same foods as the base of my diet.

Foods I eat consistently





Fruits & Veggies


Spinach
Avocado
Zucchini
Celery
Cucumber
Tomato
Onion
Red Pepper
Green Pepper
Blueberry
Raspberry
Kiwi
Lemon
Raisin
Banana



Meats & Dairy


Dark, fatty meats:
Ribs
Chicken wings
Jamon
Bacon
Lamb

Salmon
Tuna

All seafood, really
Eggs (20+ per week)
Greek yogurt (18g+ protein)
Heavy Cream (35-40%)



Everything Else


Coconut oil
Nuts (walnuts, almonds)
Pork rinds
Dark chocolate (85%)
Protein powder
Peanut butter
Honey
Ginger
Garlic
Cayenne pepper
Cinnamon
Turmeric
Rosemary
Black pepper
Homemade bone broth (chicken, pork, and beef)



Foods I eat occasionally


Sweet potatoes
Beef liver
Coconut flour
Almond flour
Spices (cardamom, cloves, cumin, laurel)


Foods I never buy:


Bread
Pasta
Rice
Potatoes
Lentils and beans (except peanut butter)
Sweets
Processed foods (candy, chips, tv dinners, etc.)

Sample Menu


Breakfast -1 bowl of bone broth, then a 2-egg omelet with spinach, avocado, red pepper, bacon, cheese, black pepper, cayenne pepper, turmeric, coconut oil.
Snack - Banana or kiwi and a coffee with milk.

Lunch - 2 hamburger patties with cheese, tomato, avocado, mustard, topped with 'spaghetti' zucchini.  Fruit for dessert.

Snack - "Ants on a log" (celery with peanut butter, topped with cinnamon and raisins).

Dinner - Cucumber-tomato salad with tuna, walnuts, raisins, feta cheese, black pepper, olive oil, and vinegar. Baked salmon with thyme, garlic, ginger, honey, hot sauce, and sea salt.


I get plenty of questions regarding my cholesterol (because I eat a lot of eggs) and my high fat intake and how it affects me. The whole "cholesterol is bad for you" is a sham, and the government finally admitted it. At the end of the day, if my doctor says I'm healthy, I feel good and strong, and I enjoy the food I'm eating, high cholesterol means nothing and I will keep doing what I'm doing.

What does your diet look like?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Stay Fit While Traveling

The holidays are in full swing and so many of us are traveling around the world to see family, go on vacation, and to enjoy the holidays. Just because you'll be away from your primary gym doesn't mean that your workouts have to stop. You can do your travel workouts and maintain all that progress you've been making. [caption id="attachment_132" align="alignnone" width="5312"] There's always time for a quick workout with an amazing view! Lanuza, Spain [/caption] Aside from hours of walking, I like to do a bit of exercise while traveling, mainly to keep my muscles active so I won't be sore next time I do a heavy workout. So the idea of these workouts are not to build strength or speed, but rather maintain my progress from my workouts at home. While traveling, I have a small box of tricks I use to stay fit on the go. I own a TRX. I own a jump rope. Gravity is free. Check out the video below, and some sample workouts below that.

Why I Prefer Group Fitness

I really enjoy working with individuals to help them reach their fitness goals, whether it be one-on-one or in groups. However, I prefer the group dynamic for two reasons: the camaraderie that ensues leads to levels of motivation amongst the trainees that I alone cannot generate, and I get to challenge myself with managing and reacting to the different levels by having to modify the workout on the spot to accommodate each individual. Who doesn't like a challenge? For the first few years of Train with TMax, I ran a series of 4-week fitness courses, called "bootcamps". The word "bootcamp" according to the Online Etymology Dictionary, "by 1941, U.S. Marines slang, said to be from  boot  (n.) as slang for "recruit," which supposedly dates from the Spanish-American War and is a synecdoche from boots, leggings worn by U.S. sailors." But that definition is not helpful in anyway, so continue reading below for further explanation. [youtube https://www