Skip to main content

How to Stay Fit While Traveling

The holidays are in full swing and so many of us are traveling around the world to see family, go on vacation, and to enjoy the holidays. Just because you'll be away from your primary gym doesn't mean that your workouts have to stop. You can do your travel workouts and maintain all that progress you've been making.

[caption id="attachment_132" align="alignnone" width="5312"]Tim doing TRX at a lake in northern Spain There's always time for a quick workout with an amazing view! Lanuza, Spain[/caption]

Aside from hours of walking, I like to do a bit of exercise while traveling, mainly to keep my muscles active so I won't be sore next time I do a heavy workout. So the idea of these workouts are not to build strength or speed, but rather maintain my progress from my workouts at home. While traveling, I have a small box of tricks I use to stay fit on the go. I own a TRX. I own a jump rope. Gravity is free. Check out the video below, and some sample workouts below that.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8CxysmzvYs?rel=0]



Sample Workouts


TRX Routine - 1 min per exercise (hotel or couchsurfing)
3 rounds
Row
Chest Press
Reverse lunges (per leg)
Crunches
Plank
1 min rest

Calistenics routine (Airbnb or a park nearby)
Fight Gone Bad (5 rounds)
1 min Burpee pullups
1 min Dips or pushups
1 min squats or squat jumps
1 min jump rope or supermans
1 min Rest

Bodyweight routine (hostal or couchsurfing)
10 x 10 pushups
3 x 10 lunges (per leg)
5 x 5 handstand pushups
3 x 8 single leg squats (per leg)

Extra Training


I also get a workout in with the types of poses I do in my photos. I often need to do several takes to get a good photo, so it's like doing reps at the gym. Flags, handstands, headstands, jumping, and pistol squats all make for great poses.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Flagging in Bilbao, Spain Flagging in Bilbao, Spain[/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="400"]Front lever in Palma de Mallorca, Spain Front lever in Palma de Mallorca, Spain[/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Jumping in Bucharest, Romania Jumping in Bucharest, Romania[/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="400"]Pistols in Volubis, Morocco Pistols in Volubis, Morocco[/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="640"]Maybe the hardest headstand I've done - in Valencia, Spain Maybe the hardest headstand I've done - in Valencia, Spain[/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="400"]The most common pose I do - a handstand (Grand Turk) The most common pose I do - a handstand (Grand Turk)[/caption]

Bonus Tip


After working out in the morning, or after a long day of walking and doing crazy poses for pictures, I like to take a contrast shower. Basically, I shower with normal water (whatever your preferred temperature is) for 2 minutes to wash my body. Then, I turn up the heat as high as I can tolerate for 1 minute. Then, I switch to as cold as possible for 1 minute. I alternate three times hot and three times cold, ending the shower on cold. Using this strategy in the morning, I feel alive and awake, while using it at night relaxes my nervous system and prepares me for sleep.

How do you stay fit while traveling? Leave a comment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Prefer Group Fitness

I really enjoy working with individuals to help them reach their fitness goals, whether it be one-on-one or in groups. However, I prefer the group dynamic for two reasons: the camaraderie that ensues leads to levels of motivation amongst the trainees that I alone cannot generate, and I get to challenge myself with managing and reacting to the different levels by having to modify the workout on the spot to accommodate each individual. Who doesn't like a challenge? For the first few years of Train with TMax, I ran a series of 4-week fitness courses, called "bootcamps". The word "bootcamp" according to the Online Etymology Dictionary, "by 1941, U.S. Marines slang, said to be from  boot  (n.) as slang for "recruit," which supposedly dates from the Spanish-American War and is a synecdoche from boots, leggings worn by U.S. sailors." But that definition is not helpful in anyway, so continue reading below for further explanation. [youtube https://www